Apologies for not writing this sooner, my fellow fibros. My life caught on fire again and I found myself trying to survive in more than just a chronic illness way.
I honestly don’t know what’s more responsible for ruining my life… fibromyalgia or myself.
That’s a very common sentiment with fibromyalgia patients. Doctors, take notes.
Really, I don’t want to make this a Whiner McBabypants post. But right now I will tell you what I am currently experiencing:
- Numbness in my left pinky that has lasted for a week
- Severe pain that has lasted in my shoulders for about a year
- Tingling and stumbling of my fingertips
Basically fibromyalgia is weird and uncomfortable, like a sweaty kid at a high school dance that thinks it’s okay to use axe spray instead of shower. I don’t mean to diminish our pain, not at all, especially on awareness day. But for the nature of my sanity I have to. Which brings me to things that helps me with MY fibromyalgia:
- Listening to upbeat EDM songs
- Going outside and smelling flowers
- People not giving me more shit than I can handle
- EMDR (there are therapists that specialize in pain therapy and trauma therapy, these are great)
- Reading books about strong females
- Writing (as you can tell the writing is mainly bullet lists, but I have lack of coordination in my fingertips today)
- Tai chi
- People being kind and understanding, which means that yes, I look different than I do a year ago, it’s fine. No, I can’t do that thing. It’s not my fault. Thank you.
What makes fibromyalgia suck more:
- Being forced to do manual labor when I absolutely cannot do it
- Being told to just do the magic normal able bodied thing and health will just fall from the sky
- Being told to do some diet thing and the unicorn of health will bestow her grace upon me and I’ll be up on her like the Dark Lord out of a Harry Potter book
- My PTSD being triggered like a shark smelling the blood of a newborn, panicked squirrel in the water
- Basically, DON’T BE AN ASSHOLE. BE NICE TO PEOPLE.
As fibromyalgia currently has no cure, the best thing we have is to love each other.