When a person comes around to recognize their blessings, they need to record them. It’s like taking photographs of favorite destinations, making a collage, and displaying it teenager-style like your soul anthem on your bedroom wall. There, your memories wait for you each time you go to sleep.
I’ve been suffering on multiple fronts lately and I want to acknowledge the ways people have loved me TODAY, even if it was part of their job description:
- The librarian who showed me Convenience Store Woman, recommended it to me, and had a conversation about it with me after she noted how much I read in a short amount of time. Thank you for your book love that is a part of your job description but still needed.
- Sayaka Murata, for writing Convenience Store Woman, so that I could find it today and laugh my ass off when I asked the librarian for the happiest book in the library
- Bear, for buying me books, queso, and enchiladas. Money can’t buy you love but they can buy you comfort. Thank you for loving me in this dimension today.
- Bear, who shows genuine love and concern by answering all of my phone calls at work despite our current living situation, who truly does care, and won’t let me forget it. Thank you for loving me genuinely and unconditionally.
- Bear’s friend, who was asked by Bear to check up on me, and did even though she didn’t have to. Thank you for being a friend of Bear and consequently, of mine, even if you may have gotten more than you bargained for.
- My friends, for periodically checking on me, texting and calling throughout my day.
- Random person on roll20 who noticed my distress at being unable to dungeon my dragons, thanks for reaching out to a freaked out person going through a DBT skills breakdown.
- Mom, for driving me to DBT and the library because the doctors say I can’t drive right now.
- Mom and dad, for driving me to meet Bear tonight for our date.
- Dad, for trying to fix the record player so I could experience vinyl and not rely on digital technology to listen to music.
- Indoor plumbing, for giving me a hot shower and a soaking bath. You do you man!
- Me, for taking time out of my day to try to learn some new ukulele songs, devote time to music when I haven’t in years, and feed my brain. Learning to love you too boo.
Feel free to share ways that you felt loved TODAY in the comments! I would love to feel the love, and I’m sure you would too!